Between 1940 and 1945, the Nazis occupied the polish town of Oswiecim, etablishing the concentration and extermination camp of Auschwitz where more 900 000 people were extermined. Before the war 12 000 people lived in the town, 7 000 of whom were jews, 60% of the total population. There were 13 synagogues. After the war only 70 jews returned to the city. Today, 48 000 people live in Oswiecim. The last jew died in 2000. The one remaining synagogue is now a museum of jewish culture.